Thursday 27 February 2014

Her Fitness Box Feb 2014 (box launch)

So you all know by now I'm a Bellabox Junkie! I love a good subscription box! Lately I've been trying to eat cleaner, exercise more and be all in all a healthier human... not too excessively because I haven't that much resolve! So I subscribed the  the new Her Fitness box  by the people who make her fashion box.
The concept is you pay $39.95 per month as a subscription and you receive a curated box containing:
  • 2 x Fitness accessories
  • 4 x Health and Lifestyle deluxe samples
  • a collectable box (at time i subscribed it said collectable tote) 
  • and some exercise tips, recipes etc.  
They claim the box contents will be Over $110 of value, no contracts - cancel anytime.
I opted for a three month subscription to try it out. So I guess this blog is 1 of 3.  I was really excited about this as February 2014 is the launch of this new subscription box on the market. It is the first of its kind in Australia. 

the BOX: 



the CONTENTS: 





  • Skipping rope 
  • Cantik Notebook
  • Emma & Toms life bar
  • Green Smoothie Co. single sachet
  • Jt Coconut essence 330ml (coconut water)
  • Norbu sweetener sample (4 sweetener sachets)
  • Coupon for Brasilfit $30 off if you spend $130
  • 1 week pass 'anytime fitness
  • Recipe card 
  • Workout card 
More info: 
  • Skipping rope
Valued at $17.95 on the HFB card, maybe not- one of the end caps fell off. I put it back on but its loose, will superglue- no drama. In a word useful. I used to love to skip as a child so I'll head to a park and give it a go. Good cardio.



  • Cantik Notebook
Nice but Meh. yes its pretty, I didn't get what it has to do with fitness but its 'a food diary and to track your progress'. but its blank. They say $19.95. And that they put lots of effort into making sure the products were so great for their subscribers. Well, Kikki K do a great one cheaper at $16.95 here and its at least specifically designed for Food and exercise as well as inspiration. There's lots of similar products that actually fit the purpose this one is supposed. Also you cant clip a pen to this so its not ideal to tote to the gym.




  • Emma & Toms life bar
I'm looking forward to trying this. I love on the go snacks that are yummy & healthy. Cacao & Coconut- match made in heaven. I'm going to enjoy this in the car for breaky tomorrow. Sydney traffic beep beep!

  • Green Smoothie Co. single sachet
  • Jt Coconut essence 330ml (coconut water)
I'm putting these together as the recipe card has a recipe that uses these together to make a smoothie. I LOVE this concept. I will 100% make the smoothie as per instructions. I am curious as to what's in the smoothie as there is no ingredients listing... are they allowed to do that on consumables? ah who cares> yum yum yum can't wait! 




  • Norbu sweetener sample (4 sweetener sachets) 
Again Looking forward to road testing this product. We use sweetener instead of sugar in our household, we currently use Natvia which incidentally is from the same brand. I would like to make one comment though> 4 serve sachets does not a 'deluxe' sample make. 




Ok that's it for actual product>Next: Cards



  • Coupon for Brasilfit $30 off if you spend $130
whatever... just promo crap. I refuse to spend $119 on leggings. Call me cheap. Call me tight. I am Scottish (background) after all. I am happy with my $24.95 Cotton on tights. Mine are good quality and come in nice fabric.They've really lifted their game. I won't use this, so if there's anyone out there that will, I will post it to you, just comment below xxx. I promise I wont act like I gave you a $30 gift.
  • 1 week pass 'anytime fitness'
I already am a Fitness first member but I might check out anytime to see the difference and its marginally closer to my house. Note: if you too want a week trial just go here they give them out like lollipops to anyone. No promo card needed. FREE TRIAL- you are welcome xxx.


  • Recipe card 
  • Workout card 
Nice touch HFB! These cards are quite handy and I love the recipes. As above I LOVE that the recipes apply to products IN the box. SMART!
At first I thought explaining how to do a squat was redundant considering this boxes focus audience but I can see the value as proper form is key to getting where you want to go with exercise.





Bang for your Buck: 
In a word NO. To be honest I felt pretty miffed and ripped off with this box. As you know from my Bellabox reviews I love debunking the value myth and showing those cheapskate haters what's what. As much as I want to love it, I just can't do that here.
  • Skipping rope:$17.95
  • Cantik Notebook:they say $19.95 (its just a blank page hard cover notebook)
  • Emma & Toms life bar $2.85 at woolies
  • Green Smoothie Co. single sachet $3.00 ($15 for pack of 5)
  • Jt Coconut essence 330ml (coconut water) $2.95
  • Norbu sweetener sample $0.43c (4x sachets) $4.35 for 40 sachets at woollies
total:
$47.13
So I emailed HFB to see what's up! They advertise $110 worth of value!

Then I was told to include:
  • Coupon for Brasilfit $30 off (umm only if you spend $130)
  • 1 week pass 'anytime fitness': $25 (average $59 per month so really $15!) (but actually free on Anytime website)
What a joke. Since when was a coupon considered box content?
As I said I contacted the company and they have been nothing but pleasant, fast to respond & helpful 100%. I do not wish to discredit them. They just fail to see validity in the point that coupons should not be counted towards the total value of the box. They are claiming that the coupons represent $55 of the $110 value. Its cross promo PR crap! Those relationships usually work that company A puts an offer out to company B's clientele and or vice versa- they benefit by reaching a new market of each others clients and get sales or members as a result. That's fine, I love a little promo material/ junk mail but don't wrap it in a bow & respond to me that its 'vouchers hand picked to be relevant to the subscribers' and 'they believe it is beneficial and valuable to all of their subscribers'. Your having a lend? 

HFB maintain they are proud of the range of health living and fitness goodies. Of the stuff that's in the box, I tend to agree. I was happy with what was in the box there just wasn't enough of it! In my humble opinion it isn't in line with what they say your getting.

I wondered if I was being unreasonable. I looked to see if there was other feedback. So I watched a vid of what the bloggers were given to write about at launch vid here she got what I got (what subscribers got) PLUS:
A tote
A tanning mit
a full size bondi sands tan
a 'babe scrub'
a single serve muesli
a tooth paste mini
a mini hand cream
a hair/ body oil mini

That's just poor form. The bloggers are spruiking a box that is NOT what real paying subscribers get. Not cool. And not fair to the blogger who is telling people their getting more than they are. As bloggers we try and show both sides and perspective.

This sort of disrespect to the customer really ticks me off. As customers we are savvy and deserve to get what we pay for. Half a box value made of coupons. No deal.

Disclaimer: This is not a sponsored blog. Box was subscribed to on my own accord.  

HFB we're shocked by my negative feedback. What do you think? Seeing my box, would you subscribe? Seeing what the other blogger got, would you? Am I being unreasonable? Am I being unfair? Comment Below!!

17 comments:

  1. So I was fairly disappointed with this too. I do not count vouchers as part of the box value. Also the notebooks are leftovers from last months her fashion box, so I already have that. Also green smoothie co sachets have been in 2 previous her fashion boxes as well, I now have 5 I think? Might be a diff blend though. Was the notebook counted as a fitness accesory? Because I only count 1 which is the skipping rope. I feel i could have bought my own skipping rope, coconut water and life bar for much less than the $39.95 I paid. I have loved the fashion box, so I really hope the fitness box improves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Anonymous! Thanks for your comment. I'm glad I'm not overreacting.You must be even more disappointed than me :( xxx. I can't believe you now have two notebooks & 5 smoothies! I would have thought they'd consider people who are joint subscribers. It is indeed considered the 'fitness accessory' that's what they told me- for tracking and food planning etc. Did you get a tote? I didn't.
    The fashion box is consistently good so fingers crossed they get this one to a higher standard! it is such a GREAT concept & sad to see poor execution getting in the way. Have you tried Bellabox?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a tad cheeky to claim that vouchers are adding value to the box. Including vouchers is fine, but they should be added after the boxes value has been met, particularly when they require money to be spent such as the brasilfit voucher. I wasn't overwhelmed by the box, as there is just not a lot of value in it. I'm happy with all the products in it and they are things I will happily use, with the exception of the vouchers. I too have gotten a few of the things before in other her fashion boxes but they're things that will get used up. I've already paid for next month so hopefully the value will improve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The other thing that worries me is that I'm not sure how many fitness related things one can actually put into a box. It seems like a tough thing to be filling month after month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking: drink bottle, pedometer, headphones, sweatbands, gym towel, a cotton light duffle(like country road but cheaper) a mini foam roller, a work out DVD, a gym shower cady, funky shoe laces- then I'm out of ideas- so at two a box- 6 months tops....

      Delete
  5. I'm curious about what is going to be in mine. I too already received the notebook in the last Her Fashion Box. Also due to the fact I live in Canada I'm wondering what they will do with those coupons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck babe! Hopefully a little more content and hopefully they aren't silly enough to put Aust exclusive coupons in the international boxes. Lettuce know!

      Delete
  6. I really appreciate your review. I was wondering why so many people are saying they LOVE the fitness box and the Fashion Box. Both seem like the value is not there. The Fashion Box has cheap items with inflated retail values. To hear they used leftovers from previous her fashion boxes. Sounds like they didn't put much time into the curation. I think for their first box they should have had a WOW factor. To hear they sent bloggers MORE items and paying them to review them. Horrible. And to tell you they are counting coupons? Ridiculous. I am canceling my subscription to both before I have even received the boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks love! I try to be objective and honest- pay compliment where it's due but hold accountability for the crap. Hfb said they were surprised by my feedback because they received soo much great feedback- made me feel like I was being unrealistic- seeing the comments I think it's synonymous that the box was underwhelming & we are all feeling gipped. I've got two to go & I genuinely hope to be writing RAVE reviews next month.

      Delete
  7. Yep I just reviewed the box on my blog too. I have been a subscriber to Her Fashion Box for over a year now and have always thought that box was good value but the fitness box was terrible! Especially for the first ever box. I calculated the value when I received it & was also wondering what was up. Can't believe that the youtubers got different stuff! The stuff they got extra is stuff that i've received in previous fashion boxes, so it's almost as if they ran around the office shoving in left over goodies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey T-la, thanks for the comment, I checked out your blog- nice! I haven't been a 'fashion subscriber' I too find it obsurd that they have done this leftover thing with an inaugural box. Getting you tubers to show off a product that doesn't exist is slack- if I did a sponsored blog and the company then turned around and gave paying customers a different product of lesser standard, I would feel so used.

      Delete
  8. I'm in Canada and haven't yet received my February box and i think if mine is the same of yours I will be disappointed. It will be interesting about the coupons because they probably can not be used internationally so I wonder if they will substitute anything? I think it's in really poor taste to use coupons as a means to heighten a boxes worth!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, another Canadian! Hello! Thanks for reading! See other comment from Andrea- also in Canada. I have my fingers crossed for you both! Hopefully you'll get added value in leiu of coupons xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the honest review! So interesting to see what the typical box is compared to what the bloggers got!
    I completely agree, coupons (especially spend and save) are NOT a value added item! And calling a blank notebook a fitness accessory is ridiculous. By that logic I could claim all my work notepads are 'fitness accessories'.
    I'll be curious to see what the next two boxes contain! Definitely not subscribing based on this one.
    Cheers,
    Courtnee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Courtnee for for reading & your comments! Fingers crossed! Stay tuned for next months!

      Delete
  11. What a shame that the bloggers were given a box that was very different than what subscribers got. I love HFB but this fitness box looks like a let down for the price.

    ReplyDelete